Although many people do not know it, the skin is the largest organ in the body. Yes: it is an organ, and its main function is to protect our internal systems.
And if the eyes are the mirror of the soul, the skin is the reflection of our insides, that is why it is so important to take care of yourself both inside and out.
You probably are familiar with the term double cleansing, but what exactly is it and what does it consist of? And most importantly, is it suitable for all skin types?
Double cleansing is a facial cleansing method in which two products are used: an oil-based cleanser followed by a water-based cleanser … The second step removes the remains of the first cleanse in addition to the water soluble dirt, such as sweat.
At KŌNSE Beauty we go through the basics of a good double cleansing routine, how to do it and some recommended products according to your skin type.
5 reasons why you should incorporate double cleansing into your routine
- Optimal hygiene: we are continuously exposed to our environment, pollution, makeup … Millions of particles of all kinds come into contact with our skin every day, putting its balance and natural pH at risk. A double cleaning ensures the right conditions to keep it healthy and looking good.
- Improves circulation: by washing your face daily and massaging it, you can activate circulation. This allows the blood vessels of your face to become activated and promote better oxygenation and, therefore, a good functioning of the skin cells. This also helps prevent the build up of liquids and associated inflammations.
- Thoroughly detoxifies the skin: cleansing your skin properly at a superficial level guarantees that the toxins that are in deeper layers can be filtered and eliminated as well. Hydration and proper nutrition are key at this stage.
- Gentle and deep cleaning: instead of using a single product that is more aggressive on your skin, by splitting the process into two steps which you can ensure a deep but more delicate cleansing.
- Accelerates the regeneration of the skin: many times we forget that the skin is the organ that protects us from the outside, that is, the one that is most exposed to microorganisms and harmful particles. Maintaining good hygiene and hydration favours cell regeneration, and therefore prevents premature aging.
How, when and what products to use?
If at this point you are still not clear about your skin type, we recommend you take the KŌNSE Beauty Quiz to find out.
You probably know that not all skin types are the same nor need the same treatment. There are some that are drier and will require a deeper nutrition and a less aggressive cleansing, which respects the natural oils of the skin.
Normal or combination skin require a slightly more intense cleansing routine, as it tends to be more prone to forming sebum, and oily skin will react better to a good formula that maintains hydration without blocking pores and regulating oil production.
The ritual of double cleansing was born in Korea and Japan, countries with a long tradition and culture of skin care and health in general.
The key to this technique is to divide the cleansing into two phases: in the first, we will use an oil based product which will help remove any residue and traces of makeup. During the second stage, we will opt for a water-based product, which will be able to penetrate deeper into the skin and clean the pores of sweat, sebum and other particles of dirt.
We already commented in our article on blackheads that there is a false belief that oily formulas are not good allies for combination and oily skin. These types of products can be wonderful when it comes to nourishing and regulating sebum production.
Double cleansing is recommended for all skin types, but it will be especially helpful for those who wear makeup on a daily basis or want to take their beauty ritual to the next level.
First step of double cleansing, Wisdom Cares Oily Botanical Cleanser is ideal for dry skin. In the case of combination and oily skin, Alex Carro’s cleanser is the best recommendation: a gel that in contact with the skin takes on an oily consistency, and when in contact with water it forms a soft foam that will help you eliminate dirt on the skin during the day.
Second step of the double cleansing, an aqueous cleanser that penetrates deeply into the skin is needed. For combination and oily skin, Nuori Foaming Cleanser is gentle and easy to apply and provides an incredible fresh feeling. For dry skin, Grown Alchemist cream based cleanser with restorative effects is ideal.
The best thing about the double cleansing routine is that by choosing the right products, you can ensure that you nourish and regenerate your skin while cleansing it thoroughly.
At KŌNSE Beauty we believe in natural, organic and healthy cosmetics, so among our selection you will find many products that can help you achieve a healthy looking skin.